Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07/21/12 - Current State of "Things"
07-21-2012, 06:55 PM
07/21/12 - Current State of "Things"
First off before you read, I'm being the most transparent I will ever be. I'm not hiding anything, you will learn some stuff about me I'm not ashamed of but has hurt my ability to put time into TS. Please understand this before reading on and keep it in mind while reading.

So as you all know I haven't been posting updates in my normal speed (its been a while) and there are 2 main reasons for this:

1) Its a seriously massive update, while it brings a lot of changes on your end it brings more to the backend. It unifies all our code under 1 library, 1 template system, and 1 organization structure. I kid you not when I say I'm just going to delete all our old file upload the new update because with all the deleting of files and changes almost every file is going to be changed anyways.

2) Me, due to personal reasons (we'll just call it mental health) and money reasons I have let myself not stay on a schedule and keep pushing TS off. I'm working on the health and doing well, but now we are to the money part. Money is necessary evil in life, if I could live without it I would. Unfortunately I have bills and I need to eat so yeah. When we ads on the site it was paying a good amount and with that and donations I could do ok (nothing great and I had to take some side jobs but that's alright).

However for some reason I can't figure out every single ad agency has denied us and the one that did accept us made many users get virus warnings and only paid $50 for 1.2 million impressions. It wasn't worth the pain. So I haven't been able to get ads on the site, donations have crawled to almost nothing (thanks to those who have kept donating and have done so recently).

So now I am at a cross roads:

1 - Do I try to do a fundraiser/funding attempt to get enough to finish this update and attempt to get the game making some money. We had ideas to give you guys stuff in-game for donating for a time (like a subscription sort of thing) instead of donating just for cash in an attempt to make the game profitable or at least bringing something in.

2. - Focus every waking moment on getting a job and hope and pray I get one soon. For the last 3-4 weeks I've really been trying and I've gotten no calls. Having the knowledge for these jobs without the experience or a degree is making it difficult to even get calls back.

If I go with option 1 I will still be looking for a job, but if I can have a financial cushion it no longer becomes so urgent. So I still don't know what I'm going to do, and I would like your input. Please understand I don't ever expect to get rich off of this and I don't do this to count my hours programming and figure out how much to make. I do this because i love it, but as I said earlier, money is a necessary evil in this work and my cushion is going down quickly.

I am one of the creators and the owner of TruckingSim.com I will be the main person doing the code for the game, if you have any questions please message me. Thanks for all the support everyone has given so far Big Grin

[Image: driverstats.php?id=1]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-21-2012, 07:01 PM
RE: 07/21/12 - Current State of "Things"
Also I would like to add about Conroy: Seriously this guy has been a huge help and we wouldn't be as far as we are without him. However you may have noticed he hasn't been on as much either and it has no relation to me. Since the beginning Conroy has volunteered his services and I greatly appreciate this. It was understood that while he works on this I can ask him to do things and he would get them done when he had time. A while ago he told me he was starting on a project and I understood. He is still an admin and I hope he stays with us in the future but most of his time is going into this other project and since i don't pay him I can't/don't expect him to be here on my every call. He will help when he can, and when he can't he lets me know.

So I just wanted to clear the air there and hope everyone fully understands now.

I am one of the creators and the owner of TruckingSim.com I will be the main person doing the code for the game, if you have any questions please message me. Thanks for all the support everyone has given so far Big Grin

07-21-2012, 07:13 PM
(07-21-2012 07:01 PM)jefffan24 Wrote:  Also I would like to add about Conroy: Seriously this guy has been a huge help and we wouldn't be as far as we are without him. However you may have noticed he hasn't been on as much either and it has no relation to me. Since the beginning Conroy has volunteered his services and I greatly appreciate this. It was understood that while he works on this I can ask him to do things and he would get them done when he had time. A while ago he told me he was starting on a project and I understood. He is still an admin and I hope he stays with us in the future but most of his time is going into this other project and since i don't pay him I can't/don't expect him to be here on my every call. He will help when he can, and when he can't he lets me know.

So I just wanted to clear the air there and hope everyone fully understands now.
I think the most important thing for you, is your health and your life. While this is a great project, I would let it take a back seat to everything else. If the game either stays with no updates or even goes away, it is a shame, but most should understand.

Thanks for all your work, and hopefully you have learned some skills while developing this game, that will help you down the line.
Find all posts by this user
07-21-2012, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2012 07:16 PM by Megaboomboxboy678.)
I understand and respect that Jeff. Times are hard and money is even harder to get anymoreSad. I Vote for option 1, mainly because you can get money quicker than trying to find a job when the current rate of unemployment for computer related jobs are high. But one question, if you delete all the old files, does that mean the game gets reset again?Huh

[Image: driverstats.php?id=444]
Current Truck: 2011 Peterbilt 389
07-21-2012, 07:17 PM
I would have no problem paying a yearly subscription fee...or monthly. I know you have to have money to keep food on the table. Also it bugs me why someone qualified cannot get a job because of "no experience". One can only get experience by getting the job. The first day on my job, I had no experience.Idea
07-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Firstly What would this fundraiser consist of? and would there be anything we can do to help? I know getting a job is your first priority and I think that is the thing you should do, because we all know that real life is more important than the game. I know how good a developer you are, maybe you should take a break from TS and do some freelance work developing websites for companies to make some money in the mean time? If there is anything I can do to help, I'll give it my best shot!

And Megaboomboxboy: no its just deleting the old code and adding the new the databases would not be deleted or reset, just loads of new stuff in the game.

[Image: driverstats.php?id=3828]
Jubby996 - Driver, RoadWay Express
07-21-2012, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2012 07:29 PM by jefffan24.)
(07-21-2012 07:17 PM)Robo Wrote:  I would have no problem paying a yearly subscription fee...or monthly. I know you have to have money to keep food on the table. Also it bugs me why someone qualified cannot get a job because of "no experience". One can only get experience by getting the job. The first day on my job, I had no experience.Idea

Yeah its BS on the experience thing. I was by far the most knowledgeable for this one position and lost it because the second guy had "corporate" experience. From what I hear though it was a bad decision by them and he isn't working out, and just proves my point further. I know I'm good at what I do and I also know my limits, however this is hard to get across on a resume and most of the time I'm just not hearing back it sucks :/

(07-21-2012 07:14 PM)Megaboomboxboy678 Wrote:  I understand and respect that Jeff. Times are hard and money is even harder to get anymoreSad. I Vote for option 1, mainly because you can get money quicker than trying to find a job when the current rate of unemployment for computer related jobs are high. But one question, if you delete all the old files, does that mean the game gets reset again?Huh

The health thing has been since feburary, as I"m posting this I'm doing well and still have some ways to go but I feel well enough to get up and go again which is why I posted this.

Edit forgot to add that no all the data about the game is stored in a database that isn't even on the same server as the files. The files just store the code to access the data and display it to you and react to actions you pass back to it.

07-21-2012, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2012 07:33 PM by jefffan24.)
(07-21-2012 07:24 PM)Jubby996 Wrote:  Firstly What would this fundraiser consist of? and would there be anything we can do to help? I know getting a job is your first priority and I think that is the thing you should do, because we all know that real life is more important than the game. I know how good a developer you are, maybe you should take a break from TS and do some freelance work developing websites for companies to make some money in the mean time? If there is anything I can do to help, I'll give it my best shot!

And Megaboomboxboy: no its just deleting the old code and adding the new the databases would not be deleted or reset, just loads of new stuff in the game.

A fundraiser would be doing a "crowd funding" on the site Indiegogo using their flexible model (which means even if we don't reach our goal I would get whatever I raised), so basically it would be a hope we reach this point but anything helps. If I went that route I would shoot for being able to have a cushion and there would be some rewards for donation like maybe beta access to features, something in the game to denote you helped, and some other stuff.

07-21-2012, 07:36 PM
I've donated $50 to the cause. I love this game so much. I urge everyone else to donate something. It doesn't have to be $50. It can be $5.00. If you love it as much as I do you will do just about anything to keep it going. So everyone dig down in to your pockets, check under the couch cushions for that extra change and give to the cause...

[Image: driverstats.php?id=100]
07-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Will it come down to selling it like Trukz did?

[Image: driverstats.php?id=3538]