Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
The plan for Truckingsim's future
09-09-2015, 04:24 PM
RE: The plan for Truckingsim's future
Norman I think if they thought it was lack of interest they are wrong, it's just that so much has been promised over the years and so little was actually done. I'm very thankful for the game we have now but without changes new players won't stay around. Which is a shame because this is a great game that could bring in lots and lots of players if a few things were upgraded.

[Image: driverstats.php?id=23]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2015, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 10:48 AM by Bjornski.)
At this moment I can only speak for myself. I don't know what Jeffs thoughts are at this time.

Basically there are just two devs; Jeffan24 and myself. I have just gotten onboard as, until this spring I was only the server admin. You all know Jeffs situation.
I run a company, I have a family and I do have other hobbies. I develop software on a daily basis. Working on a complex development project in my spare time might still be fun (even though it's also my job) if it's a group effort. Even though almost nobody in the community has the skill to write code, I had expected more enthousiasm for some of the other work that needs to be done (designing stuff, moderating, thinking about what would make the game more fun to play, etc...).

The response to my plans for open-sourcing the game has so far been minimal at best. To be honest, on a subconsious level that has dramatically altered my feelings toward this game. I've sat down a number of times this summer to start working on this game, only to shove it aside again due to lack of enthousiasm.

If the design requirements are set too high, no problem. Show us what you've got and then we all should try to fill in the blanks (if needed). If you think that you can contribute in some other way, cool! Let's hear it! I would be really psyched to at least get some meaningful contribution from the community at large.

Former Vice President of WET: World Expedition & Trucking.
CEO of Solutionsource; proud to be sponsor of the hosting for Truckingsim.com.

[Image: driverstats.php?id=309]
09-11-2015, 12:17 PM
I started working on a design but never really got anywhere with it. To be honest it was pretty similar to what we already have. The basic idea was to make each page from a series of sections that can be stacked as a single column on the smallest width screen type or as a pair of columns on the medium and large widths. Some things like the route progress bar and maps we would want to stretch the width of the screen but generally the elements would be the same across all three sizes.

The left-hand menu bar would be always visible on the largest size but accessed via a hamburger button on the small and medium sizes where we want the page content to take precedence.

[Image: My_Driver_Large.jpg]

That was my initial design for the my driver page. There are no tabs on the design because I was thinking that the garage should be combined with the purchase truck and purchase item pages and that the driver ledger belongs on the banking page,
09-11-2015, 02:27 PM
Bjornski I would love to help but I'm an auto mechanic, and I don't know a single thing about web design. I can barely even use MS paint if that tells you anything. All I can do is offer suggestions. One idea that I had would be to merge the CB and route display page. And I don't think jeff wanted to fool with this but you might, a GPS on the route display page would be awesome. Could we help with donations? Maybe organize some sort of one day money bomb where we all try to donate? I can't contribute alot but could help a little bit if it would help. Another idea is if you have access to every drivers email address would be to send out an email and ask everybody who has quit to come back and give the game another try. My fear is that if so many players keep losing interest and quit before long there won't be anybody left. And I really hope that doesn't happen.

[Image: driverstats.php?id=23]
09-11-2015, 02:39 PM
I don't have any experience with programming. I hope the game continues.

I do think the truck lot needs to be updated
09-11-2015, 03:46 PM
I do not know the first thing about web design, programming, or the likes. However, I like to learn new things, and I love this game (it is quite literally the only of its kind). I was a truck driver in real life, so I have some experience and knowledge about the field. However, like many here, I do not have any experience in actual web design and programming. And like many on here, time is a constraint, with owning my own transport company.

What I can offer: The grunt work. I can do the research, the organization, the input of data. I can dedicate a few hours a day to do what would be considered the minute tasks that take away from the Devs focus on the bigger projects. Whatever I can do to keep this game alive, by all means, let me know. I have experience in doing research and data, having done that for another online game company. You give me a spreadsheet and tell me input data, I can do that. I am familiar with basic computer programs, and whatever I don't have, I can jump on my pirate ship, and get.

My feedback:

I would change the inability to create a driver and a truck that you can award a points system to. What I mean by this: A new driver starts off with 10 points to place in either his driver stats, or his truck stats. Driver stats being fatique, reflex, mechanics, routing, etc. (Fatique Trait - Increases the ability to drive longer distances before feeling the need to rest. Reflex Trait - Increases the ability to avoid unexpected surprises, like crazy four-wheelers. Mechanics Trait - Increases the ability to repair your own truck, thus reducing the cost of repairs. Routing Trait - Increases the ability to plan betters routes, find shortcuts, avoid traffic congestion. I feel the stats aspect would give more players something to aim for, while being relatively realistic. A new player would be like a new driver, fresh out of TTTS. The players stats and skills would reflect that of the stats and skills of a new driver, limited. As he/she progresses, so does his skill level.

The game lacks depth. Logging in, running your ten hours, and logging off is pretty much what many do. The goals for progression are there, but the way they are set up, you can do the above, and still get there without having done anything.

The companies are a great feature, but they lack substance. There's nothing to really engage the players with their companies. I would keep the CB feature, as it keeps the companies organized. I would add something for the companies to be able to set goals within, and allow different tiers. These different tiers would unlock more aspects of the company, achieve greater rewards, and engage the player into doing more for their company.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2015, 05:11 PM
I still like the idea that Jeff came up with, and that is the Prestige System. First level, truck and trailer, Second level double trailers, Third level triple trailers. Like the deal was in Trukz, can't remember what the forth level was, but the fifth level graduate all the up to the lowboy trailers to haul the big over sized loads with. That would take a while to reach the top goal and also don't forget to put in the ability to change drivers rates this time....Also program it in a way where you can make changes to it when ever you wanted. I have no skills to program any kind of computerized game, but I would like to see this one continue going forwards so please don't give up on us....

[Image: driverstats.php?id=100]
09-11-2015, 06:23 PM
I expect most players will support this proposal, even if they haven't actually found this thread and spoken up to say so. As a software developer myself (complete with job and offline life) I would offer a few hints:
  1. Don't underestimate the size of the task. It's clear that a lot of work went into TruckingSim. At least as much work is going to have to go into any replacement worth moving to. This isn't going to be finished by Christmas, even if some kind and competent souls gave up their day jobs.
  2. Don't throw away working code lightly. The existing version will be packed with business logic which isn't documented elsewhere. Please consider evolution rather than revolution, gradually replacing the most tangled spaghetti by something functionally equivalent but legible and open to enhancement. This approach allows the most urgent enhancements to appear sooner, even if the worst happens and the project loses momentum before delivering every wish on the list.
  3. A competition for "look and feel" is a great way to encourage everyone to get involved but the most important changes will be internal and invisible. With a well-written core implementing the database access and game rules, the appearance can almost be an afterthought. We may even want to support alternative skins for screen readers, mobile and next year's new technology.
I may be able to help out, but most of my experience isn't with the languages and environment that have been chosen.
09-12-2015, 07:43 PM
Don't have a clue how to program games I put roofs on buildings, need a roof? LOl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-12-2015, 11:30 PM
I wish I could do more but hey updating my facebook account is hard enough for me as it is. I have stuck around now and through the old trukz days I won't be going anywhere any time soon. I just want to see this game keep going. Try to build some more interest in it again maybe get some other players back when they here we are getting some progress going on a update.

[Image: driverstats.php?id=86]