Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
The plan for Truckingsim's future
09-13-2015, 07:30 AM
RE: The plan for Truckingsim's future
I enjoy playing this game and I have been around since the trukz days but I am just a retired over the road driver and never had time to learn the programming skills needed. Wish I could do more

[Image: driverstats.php?id=2450]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2015, 02:30 PM
would be very nice if we will finally get upgrade or new version of the game because as u know many users don't play this games anymore just because it become boring at one point.
i like this games very much and still play no matter if we will get new version or not.
09-14-2015, 05:13 PM
I'm loving the idea

[Image: 43401.png]

[Image: driverstats.php?id=8245]

If you ain't turnin', you ain't earnin'!!!!!!!!!

Add me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/willie.sharon.7

I am a Volunteer Firefighter from south Louisiana and I love what I do.

Engaged 3/7/17

Laissez les bon temps rouler!!!!!!!!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-16-2015, 12:07 PM
Sorry if this appears twice. My first attempt is currently in the moderation queue.

I expect most players will support this proposal, even if they haven't actually found this thread and spoken up to say so. As a software developer myself (complete with job and offline life) I would offer a few hints:
  1. Don't underestimate the size of the task. It's clear that a lot of work went into TruckingSim. At least as much work is going to have to go into any replacement worth moving to. This isn't going to be finished by Christmas, even if some kind and competent souls gave up their day jobs.
  2. Don't throw away working code lightly. The existing version will be packed with business logic which isn't documented elsewhere. Please consider evolution rather than revolution, gradually replacing the most tangled spaghetti by something functionally equivalent but legible and open to enhancement. This approach allows the most urgent enhancements to appear sooner, even if the worst happens and the project loses momentum before delivering every wish on the list.
  3. A competition for "look and feel" is a great way to encourage everyone to get involved but the most important changes will be internal and invisible. With a well-written core implementing the database access and game rules, the appearance can almost be an afterthought. We may even want to support alternative skins for screen readers, mobile and next year's new technology.

I may be able to help out later, but the languages and platform chosen aren't part of my main skill set.
09-16-2015, 01:54 PM
All very interesting, but have you noticed that we still have no official word, that's the main reason I think people are disenchanted with all of this. We all have families, duties, hobbies, work to do, but the developer(s) just vanished.

Unfortunately, when there are no advances or improvements in development, even small as relabel a column, and all you read is '...job or life is difficult.' It's natural for people to abandon hope on the game and its developers.

Many moons ago I used to be a programmer (Cobol, C, and a few others), very rusty now, but somehow these kind of web games (trukz, truckingsim, cyberairlines, batracer) with their technology draw my attention and intrigues me.

I'll end with an unanswered from 05/2014,
'Do you have this code on some sort of versioning system (git, mercurial, subversion, ...) that us curious could browse '

That was the result or last attempt at something that had started back in _2011_ and would allow to check how difficult, if any, things were in code and if people could help in simple matters.

Only expressing my view and trying to help.

09-25-2015, 04:43 PM
Looks like you're unfortunately right. Our "enthusiasm" has been met with nothing. Oh well, at least we do have a decent game. It's alot better than nothing.
(09-16-2015 01:54 PM)JMasch Wrote:  All very interesting, but have you noticed that we still have no official word, that's the main reason I think people are disenchanted with all of this. We all have families, duties, hobbies, work to do, but the developer(s) just vanished.

Unfortunately, when there are no advances or improvements in development, even small as relabel a column, and all you read is '...job or life is difficult.' It's natural for people to abandon hope on the game and its developers.

Many moons ago I used to be a programmer (Cobol, C, and a few others), very rusty now, but somehow these kind of web games (trukz, truckingsim, cyberairlines, batracer) with their technology draw my attention and intrigues me.

'Do you have this code on some sort of versioning system (git, mercurial, subversion, ...) that us curious could browse '

That was the result or last attempt at something that had started back in _2011_ and would allow to check how difficult, if any, things were in code and if people could help in simple matters.

[Image: driverstats.php?id=23]
09-27-2015, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2015 10:27 AM by Cowboy Trucking Inc.)
(09-25-2015 04:43 PM)gtmustang94 Wrote:  Looks like you're unfortunately right. Our "enthusiasm" has been met with nothing. Oh well, at least we do have a decent game. It's alot better than nothing.
(09-16-2015 01:54 PM)JMasch Wrote:  All very interesting, but have you noticed that we still have no official word, that's the main reason I think people are disenchanted with all of this. We all have families, duties, hobbies, work to do, but the developer(s) just vanished.

Oh man hit the wrong button. That would be a good idea to release the source code for the game. Then maybe someone with these kind of skills would look into it. To see if anything can be done to the game. Evidently Jeff doesn't care enough about the game anymore to even log in. So something needs to be done or I'm just gonna give it up entirely. Beyond me why someone would make a game and promise updates and just abandon it all together. After all the plans he said he was going to make. What it boils down to is he just flat out lied to us. I think this game ended up being worse then "The Jolt" series of there game.

[Image: driverstats.php?id=100]
09-27-2015, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2015 02:55 PM by DustyBones.)
(08-30-2015 02:57 AM)Norman Wrote:  I don't know what is happening, but I think the lack of response from the community probably disheartened the devs quite a bit. If you have an idea for the graphical design of the game then it would still be a good idea to post it.
I already addressed this above but would just like to add that I don't think anyone at this stage is going to put the time and work into creating a complete graphic package for this game not knowing whether or not the game is going to be updated. That is if anyone that is still here even has the capabilities of doing that. We have to remember, most people here are "gamers" not graphic artists. So to say that the game isn't going forward due to lack of participation by the members isn't really being fair. Many have voiced their opinions that they love the game and do want to see it succeed. Me being one of them.

(09-27-2015 10:20 AM)Cowboy Trucking Inc Wrote:  What it boils down to is he just flat out lied to us. I think this game ended up being worse then "The Jolt" series of there game.
I don't believe that anyone here lied to us about the game. I do think that people got busy in real life and things tend to get put on the back burner after sitting for awhile.

You have to think about just how much time was spent building this game. I'm sure Jeff and the other coders involved got burned out and most likely would need some motivation to want to do it all again.

To expand on my earlier offer;
I would be more than happy to donate my time to work on the graphics to build the new game. My only problem is that I would not be good at designing it. I'm very good (at least I think I am) at making graphics for an existing site or if someone could tell me exactly what they need for each element of the site. I've done lots of themes for forums and tons of ranks, buttons, banners, etc for the elements needed for said forums. A hobby of mine is doing graphics for people at a forum support forum that make requests for the different elements. You can see my forum that I made for supplying such a service here and I made 99% of the graphics for it. So if someone laid out the site, I could fill it in so to speak.

This game could really take off if redone with a nicer look and it was advertised.

I think that there should be a pay off for Jeff and crew for building this game. There should be an option where people could play for free as these days some people just don't have the extra cash to spend on a game. But there could be an option for people that do pay could get more advanced functions in the game, better trucks, better fuel mileage, endorsements, the ability to own a company could be a few things available.

I'd also like to see the game take a more realistic direction. Endorsements, individual dispatch and rates, own different types of trailers for different loads, ability to talk to originating company for subs, DOT inspections where you can get fined or shut down depending on mechanical status of truck. Be able to specialize in specific types of freight, bonus's for hard running drivers, ability to designate wages to certain drivers, ability to advertise with graphics, have a list of new drivers to the game so we don't have to weed through all of the drivers list to try and figure out who's new. These are just a few things, I'm sure that there is a ton more ideas out there.

I'm not real excited about the whole Prestige idea. I personally don't want to work hard to get my driver built up just to reset him all the time. I feel there is other ways to make this game more interesting to play.

Again... I am offering up my services to help in any way I can regardless of the time required. I am retired and have the time available. I'm sure there is others that would like to help in any small way that they can but like me, just need some direction.

That all being said, I believe I might have a new logo and would be willing to pay for the license to the graphics for this... It would need a little altering to work for a logo but you get the drift...

[Image: ts_wall_sample.png]
09-28-2015, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2015 05:35 PM by Cowboy Trucking Inc.)
Money is always a motivating factor these days. That idea was proposed along time ago and was shot down faster then a monkey slipping on a banana peal.

I got "Jolted" lol.

[Image: driverstats.php?id=100]
09-30-2015, 06:10 AM
(09-27-2015 02:38 PM)DustyBones Wrote:  I already addressed this above but would just like to add that I don't think anyone at this stage is going to put the time and work into creating a complete graphic package for this game not knowing whether or not the game is going to be updated. That is if anyone that is still here even has the capabilities of doing that. We have to remember, most people here are "gamers" not graphic artists. So to say that the game isn't going forward due to lack of participation by the members isn't really being fair. Many have voiced their opinions that they love the game and do want to see it succeed. Me being one of them.

Well, we don't all have to be graphic designers (is anyone?) to give some opinions. Seeing as I am the only one who has posted anything let's start with that. What do you think of the page design? The colours, the layout, the tables?

Also, do you have the individual elements for the logo you posted? Do you have a large cutout of the truck and world?