Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
The plan for Truckingsim's future
10-30-2016, 11:57 AM
RE: The plan for Truckingsim's future
So guys, I take it nothing is in the pipeline at all then, going by the lack of Jeff or Bjornski on here.

It's such a pity as the game itself is a great game, just needs something to give it a lot more longevity.

I took a break from it for a while, a good few years I suppose, to play SimAgri, which is a pay game, and keeps you going. A model like that game would be great, I know it's kind of a diverse game and trucking is only a tiny facet of it, and that's all there is to this game, but some things could be taken onboard too to make this game grab you more.

I'm by no means a coder or graphics guy, but I'd be willing to learn of it could help.

[Image: driverstats.php?id=57]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2016, 07:40 AM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2016 07:40 AM by Megaboomboxboy678.)
I haven't seen anybody with any authority since I came back after another 6 month hiatuses. Going from page four of this thread, it appears the game needs to be completely rewritten to fix bugs. Doesn't look like Jefffan, or anyone else for that matter gives a damn, not by choice, but considering he makes no profit off of it, he doesn't give this game priority, unfortunately.

It appears we will have to settle for what we've got until

A: Jeff comes to enlighten us with more details
B: Bjornski decides this game is no longer viable and pulls it off of his server
C: It gets the updates it deserves.

[Image: driverstats.php?id=444]
Current Truck: 2011 Peterbilt 389
12-12-2016, 06:25 PM
(10-31-2016 07:40 AM)Megaboomboxboy678 Wrote:  I haven't seen anybody with any authority since I came back after another 6 month hiatuses. Going from page four of this thread, it appears the game needs to be completely rewritten to fix bugs. Doesn't look like Jefffan, or anyone else for that matter gives a damn, not by choice, but considering he makes no profit off of it, he doesn't give this game priority, unfortunately.

It appears we will have to settle for what we've got until

A: Jeff comes to enlighten us with more details
B: Bjornski decides this game is no longer viable and pulls it off of his server
C: It gets the updates it deserves.

short but sweet boomer...i totally agree...the game needs a complete update...but i am a follower so i and my asst manager the dragon lady will hang in there for the short haul or long haul....i would hate to see truckingsim end..would be a loss for sure my friend....

Destiny Is A Simple Matter Of Finding What It Is You Believe To Be Your Future.Reality Is Realizing It's All A Bunch Of Nonsense That Should Be Kept In One's Dreams.Darkrose2.
06-18-2017, 08:54 AM
Well, i still don't see very much activity here.

I'm thinking for a while now to build a new truckingsim with more features. I'll write a post with my ideas later. First i want so be sure no one else has already started writing an update or a new version of the current game. Anyone?
06-19-2017, 03:07 AM
Post away, but given that the matching game account has been inactive for six years have you actually been playing the game? Who would we know you as?
06-19-2017, 07:45 AM
Hey Norman,

I've another game account. My in-game account is Woudfluit. I'm playing with some hiatuses. Sometimes it's hard to continue playing only for money and experience, without other challenges. Then i stop for a while and come back later. But this is a great game and it's sad to see this game going down slowly.
I've never posted at the forums, only reading topics as guest.

Here are my ideas:

- More truck tiers and every year or 1,5 year a new tier with new trucks and extra trucks at existing tiers (and maybe from time to time remove trucks from the list to prevent a enormous list, but the trucks stay available for those who're driving it)
- Earn in-game money, xp and points (use points to research items or to buy vouchers)
- A research system with different levels (in combination with xp and tier). Use earned points to research an item. When the research of a level is completed you're able to buy the item at the researched level with in-game money and points.
- Vouchers, buy vouchers with earned points. 4 levels, bronze (25%), silver (50%), gold (75%), platinum (100%).
Different vouchers for for example:
- truck repair after brakedown (bronze 25% discount to platinum with 100% discount)
- speeding ticket (bronze 25% discount to platinum with 100% discount with platinum prevent a loss of xp)
- fatique ticket (bronze 25% discount to platinum with 100% discount with platinum prevent a loss of xp)
- buy off fatigue points (bronze 1 to platinum 4 fatigue points)
- and more
- A medal system like the good old trukz game, but with more levels and a 'wall of medals' at the profile page.
- From time to time challenges with unique medals. This is only an idea, i haven't worked it out yet.

I've thought of an option to buy more trucks and hire drivers, but i think an option like that changes the game in a way it never ment to be, so i don't want to create such an option.

Greetz,
Martin
06-20-2017, 04:59 AM
(06-19-2017 07:45 AM)Morph Wrote:  - More truck tiers and every year or 1,5 year a new tier with new trucks and extra trucks at existing tiers (and maybe from time to time remove trucks from the list to prevent a enormous list, but the trucks stay available for those who're driving it)
It was intended that new trucks would be added each year, but even something this simple has slipped with the lack of developer time. You have to consider how interested you will still be in maintaining the game in X year's time after the initial recoding is done. In the intended truck addition new trucks would be added with slightly improved stats while the rest would be aged by one year and the cheapest few would be removed from the default list, but still available via the prestige system (which was never added).

(06-19-2017 07:45 AM)Morph Wrote:  - Earn in-game money, xp and points (use points to research items or to buy vouchers)
Well you can already earn money and xp by driving, unless you mean in some new extra ways?

(06-19-2017 07:45 AM)Morph Wrote:  - A research system with different levels (in combination with xp and tier). Use earned points to research an item. When the research of a level is completed you're able to buy the item at the researched level with in-game money and points.
What sort of things could you research? Things like truck parts?

(06-19-2017 07:45 AM)Morph Wrote:  - Vouchers, buy vouchers with earned points. 4 levels, bronze (25%), silver (50%), gold (75%), platinum (100%).
Different vouchers for for example:
- truck repair after brakedown (bronze 25% discount to platinum with 100% discount)
- speeding ticket (bronze 25% discount to platinum with 100% discount with platinum prevent a loss of xp)
- fatique ticket (bronze 25% discount to platinum with 100% discount with platinum prevent a loss of xp)
- buy off fatigue points (bronze 1 to platinum 4 fatigue points)
- and more
Personally, I don't really like most of these (particularly the xp protection) because they create a big advantage for the richest, most experienced users and for the sake of the game we want as level a playing field as possible so that new users have a chance to compete. An experienced driver with platinum speeding/fatigue discounts can just drive at top speed and race away from anyone who has to stick to the speed limits, let alone a new driver in a slower truck.

(06-19-2017 07:45 AM)Morph Wrote:  - A medal system like the good old trukz game, but with more levels and a 'wall of medals' at the profile page.
- From time to time challenges with unique medals. This is only an idea, i haven't worked it out yet.
This could be good. I think it would be better if the company/driver leaderboards were a bit more prominent and also based more on short term (say monthly, 3 monthly) progress, again to allow newer drivers to compete with older drivers. Ranking highly in such a list could be a source of medals. Of course the all time lists should still be available, with the option to toggle inactive drivers/companies on or off.

(06-19-2017 07:45 AM)Morph Wrote:  I've thought of an option to buy more trucks and hire drivers, but i think an option like that changes the game in a way it never ment to be, so i don't want to create such an option.
Fair enough.
06-20-2017, 04:00 PM
(06-20-2017 04:59 AM)Norman Wrote:  It was intended that new trucks would be added each year, but even something this simple has slipped with the lack of developer time. You have to consider how interested you will still be in maintaining the game in X year's time after the initial recoding is done. In the intended truck addition new trucks would be added with slightly improved stats while the rest would be aged by one year and the cheapest few would be removed from the default list, but still available via the prestige system (which was never added).
I think maintaining the game in X year's time should be no problem. I'm used to make life as easy as possible, that's the reason why i want to build a cms system behind the site (okay, it takes time to build, but it makes life really easy). Let's take a truck for example. I want to add a truck with it's complete lifespan with it. So the truck shows up at date X, stats changes every year and the truck disappears after x years, automatically. That means, adding a truck is a one-time job of a couple minutes and it can be done months before date X. Ofcourse it will be possible to change stats when needed.
And another big advantage of a cms: i'm able to give access to someone else with the rights to add and edit trucks.

(06-20-2017 04:59 AM)Norman Wrote:  Well you can already earn money and xp by driving, unless you mean in some new extra ways?
Money and xp stays the same. I'll add points.

(06-20-2017 04:59 AM)Norman Wrote:  What sort of things could you research? Things like truck parts?
Yes, truck parts. Lets take a fuel filter. In the current game you're able to buy one for better fuel economy and less chance for rmf. But it's buy-and-go. In my opinion it's a bit easy, you've nothing to look forward to. I want to create levels with corresponding economy and rmf stats in combination with xp and tier. So you're not able to reach level 7 fuel filter while you are Tier 1 and/or have less than X xp.

(06-20-2017 04:59 AM)Norman Wrote:  Personally, I don't really like most of these (particularly the xp protection) because they create a big advantage for the richest, most experienced users and for the sake of the game we want as level a playing field as possible so that new users have a chance to compete. An experienced driver with platinum speeding/fatigue discounts can just drive at top speed and race away from anyone who has to stick to the speed limits, let alone a new driver in a slower truck.
Well, you're right. But i want to do something more with the points earned by driving. I want to give a driver the option to choose what he/she does with the collected points. Use for research or buy a voucher (or something else) for something interesting. Then it takes longer to complete the research of parts. If points are only used for research and everything is researched, then the driver collects points, but they're useless.
Or maybe, at top level, a re-research of X points to keep a truck part at top level inside X weeks before it expires and if a driver is too late drop that part a level down. But i think we're still need something else to provide a choice to a driver, so a driver have to calculate whether he/she has enough points left to keep everything on top level.

(06-20-2017 04:59 AM)Norman Wrote:  This could be good. I think it would be better if the company/driver leaderboards were a bit more prominent and also based more on short term (say monthly, 3 monthly) progress, again to allow newer drivers to compete with older drivers. Ranking highly in such a list could be a source of medals. Of course the all time lists should still be available, with the option to toggle inactive drivers/companies on or off.
I already had the idea to add the leaderboard to the homepage, but for sure it's good to do more with leaderboards.
Yesterday, 05:38 AM
Hi Morph,

It's great to see someone finally taking an interest in developing the game. I've toyed with this idea myself but withdrew for non-technical reasons.

I think the first step is to be sure that the new version would be accepted as a replacement for TruckingSim, by the existing players and by those who own and moderate the current game. If the community split between truckingsim.com and a new server, both factions would be too small to flourish.

The ideal approach is to enhance the existing software but that's very unlikely to be released. So step two, copyright permitting, could be to reverse engineer and replicate the current game. If done well, that could provide a platform that everyone would support and migrate onto. In one sense it's a major effort to go nowhere, but it would unlock the source code ready to fix bugs and make enhancements that the community agrees on. You'd probably want a wiki or similar to discuss changes in advance and only make those which have strong consensus.

Don't underestimate the size of the design, coding and future maintenance. Developing a multi-player game like this is a serious project. Ongoing, hosting and moderating the game will require a lot of effort, not to mention enhancements. As an IT professional I've seen a few projects fail but many succeed. The difference is often whether the sponsors understand the magnitude and complexity of what they're requesting.

I wish you all the best.
Certes
Yesterday, 01:29 PM
I love this game, but sometimes it seems like I'm "abandoned" without motivation.